Quote of the Week

Still, there's something hypnotic about it. For men, it's like cleavage; we've seen acres of it, but that doesn't stop us from looking again. It's part instinct, part the lure of the unattainable and part the hope that we'll see something spectacular.
- Chris Ballard, Sports Illustrated Author on the DUNK

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A crying Irish fan sees a glimmer of hope

I have a crush on College Football. I love everything about it. The weekly matchups, the pageantry, the recruiting, and the dawn of hope that comes each August. Well this August my hope was quickly turned into pain. The kind of pain from taking a red pen and jamming it into your eye. My Irish are 1-7, and apparently, from what I read and hear, the laughing stock of college football. I thought I would share with you the evolution of a fan in this kind of pain. From wanting to jump off the top of my roof, to somehow, some way, seeing a silver lining in what could only be the worse Irish football season of my life. So here we go: the two voices inside my head.

The depressed, want to throw the remote through the tv voice: How could the IRISH be so bad? They are awful. They can't run the ball, can't throw the ball. Their special teams are atrocious and their offense could only be described as an unsightly bunch. A hideous team, plain and simple.

The somehow optimistic voice inside my head:Don't worry about it too much. It is only one season. And despite what Charlie says, this is a rebuilding year.

Remote Thrower: Rebuilding!! I thought Ohio State was going through rebuilding and they are No. 1 in the polls. The University of Notre Dame should still be an average football team when they go through the rebuilding. How in the world are they only 1-7???

Optimistic Voice: Yeah, they are 1-7, which sucks, no doubt about it. However, they have played the toughest record in the NCAA DI so far. Losing at Penn St and Michigan, and against BC and USC at home is nothing to hang your head about. They aren't going around playing Akron and NorthEastern Indiana St.

RT: Who cares? They should just throw in the towel. Where is the talent? The offense line looks like my Grandma's knitting group. My stomach is getting upset just thinking about it. They are never going to win another game again. Should I throw away my IRISH t-shirts? I am too embarrassed to wear my hoody out in public.

OV: Don't worry, the talent is on its way. The kids that are Juniors and Seniors right now weren't even ranked a top 25 class by Rivals100. And both of those classes only had 1 or 2 top 100 players. Ty was bringing in 2 and 3 star guys. Now Charlie has recruited two top 10 classes in a row and they have the number 1 class set to enroll next fall according to Scout.com and Rivals100. The young and inexperienced o-line still needs time to adjust and establish depth to be successful in the future.

RT: Recruits aren't making any difference this year. Jimmy Claussen...woopidy doo! He is awful and can't throw a ball more than five yards. I am so glad he is our reason to hope in the future. Plus, who says Charlie and the coaches can actually mold these guys into players. My alcohol consumed each Saturday is slowly on the rise!

OV: Just give them time to adjust to the speed of the game. NExt year: 8-4 and in 2009: back to BCS bound!! Corwin Brown, the Defensive Coordinator, is just the guy you want leading the defense. And Charlie will be ok once he makes the adjustment to coaching younger college kids instead of the established vets that he had when he came to ND. So get down off that roof and keep those Irish clothes ironed. Touchdown Jesus will uncover his eyes soon and be impressed by what he sees in South Bend.

RT: I will put the razor blades away for now. But if we lose to Navy, Army, or Duke the bonfire of Irish apparel will be at my house over Thanksgiving.

No comments: