Quote of the Week

Still, there's something hypnotic about it. For men, it's like cleavage; we've seen acres of it, but that doesn't stop us from looking again. It's part instinct, part the lure of the unattainable and part the hope that we'll see something spectacular.
- Chris Ballard, Sports Illustrated Author on the DUNK

Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Baker's Dozen: A collection of Fall Thoughts

By: Chi-town TOE

1. The Irish are absolutely awful. Their offense is pitiful, their defense is weak, and their special teams make my stomach physically ill. It is 4 weeks into the season and I am having trouble figuring out when they will win their first game. I have never slouched in my seat so early into games, or for that matter, so early into the season. Please remove the shoelaces from my New Balances. I hate college football already. Even Syracuse has a win.

2. So far watching the Bears on Sunday doesn't make me feel much better. When their offense takes the field I actually feel that I am back in an 8:00 Biblical Lit. class my Freshman year of college. Absolute Boredom!

3. GO CUBS GO!!!! Ah, the bright spot in my life. As of today the Cubs have a 3 game lead on the Wiener-Racers to the North. I can almost taste the playoffs. I can start to see my focus drifting at work for the next month as the Cubbies leap into the NLCS. I can envision Wrigley Field packed to the brim on a perfect fall night as Aramis Ramirez collects yet another clutch hit. Please let this happen.....please!



4. My Fantasy Football Team Sucks......I would personally like to send the Patriots an important message. Please review Jets videotape and pass the ball to Donte Stallworth. What a horrible pick he was. I don't know if Tom Brady realizes he is on the team.

5. Speaking of the Patriots, I pretty sure I believe this whole "taping" fiasco is out of control. So they tried to gain a competitive advantage during the game. You can't tell me MLB managers don't have people on the bench trying to steal other teams signs. Let it go people...they still are clearly one of the two best teams in the league. (The Colts, also known as women who play in a dome, are the second. I can't tell you how much I hate teams who play in a dome. That might be the title of my next post.)

6. The Red Sox are showing signs of 1978. I keep thinking Bucky Dent will show up in SportsCenter. Unfortunately, although it makes great tv drama for ESPN, both teams will make the playoffs anyway so it really doesn't matter. Go Yankees!

7. The Early Heisman frontrunner: Tim Tebow, Florida Quarterback. What a freak.

8. Go Appalachian State!!!! I hope all Big Ten schools are buying up those t-shirts. If they are smart they will also wear their "Keep Lloyd" shirts. We would hate for Michigan to have a real coach.

9. My College Fantasy Football team is incredible. I love Graham Harrell, the Texas Tech Quarterback. Today's Line: 645 yards, 5 TD. If you love college football check out CBS Sportsline's College Fantasy. It is a bit different from Pro in the fact you play units, not just individuals. I have the Wisconsin RBs. So I get all the Wisconsin RB points, not just PJ Hill.

10. Be sure to check out Bill Simmons article on Friday Night Lights. A great article begging you to support the show. SAVE FNL!!!!! In the last 10 years NBC has canceled two other great shows: Freaks and Geeks and American Dreams. Don't let them cancel this show. It is too good. Here is the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070919

(As proof that apparently NBC wants this show to fail, there was not one ad for Friday Night Lights during the Bears-Cowboys Sunday Night Game. I saw ads for Chuck and even Bionic Woman, but no love for FNL. You might think they would want to reach out to FOOTBALL fans by advertising for a show dealing with FOOTBALL! What was I thinking? Apparently, the same ad agency that produced the Burger King commercials with a human dressed as a Whopper Jr. also helps NBC.

11. Go Phillies! (I hate the Mets)

12. The IRISH will be back. Domers, sit back, have a beer and relax. The recruiting classes over the last two years and this incoming one,will have the IRISH back to 8-9 wins next year and BCS bound in 2009. You heard it hear first!!! And for those haters, get your laughs in this year. You won't be able to do it for long. (I love when the haters call Charlie Weis arrogant. If you had three Super Bowl Rings you might be a little arrogant as well. )

Column Break: Examples #1 is an example of the kind of fan I am (Pessimistic, or in this case, Realistic). Example #12 is an example of what I hope to become (Optimistic).

13. Next weekend could shape up to be one of the best of the year. It exemplifies why Fall is the best sports time. Playoff races down to the wire, with great college and pro football too!

Wow! 13 opinions and not one on the not-guilty plea of a former USC Running Back.


Pics:
Ramirez: www.chicagocubs.com
Teb0w: www. espn.com
FNL: www.nbc.com

No comments: